Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1890 as one of terrace of fourteen, having full-height return to rear (south) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, having red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled metal gutter supported on bracketed eaves with painted brick stringcourse at second floor window-head level, and cast-iron downpipe to east end. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, over granite plinth course, with snecked limestone walls to basement to front elevation; rendered walls to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, having red brick block-and-start surrounds to basement. Round-headed principal doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with foliate brackets supporting timber frieze and moulded cornice, plain fanlight, and bolection-moulded timber four-panel door, approached by flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, with wrought-iron handrails to each side; square-headed doorway with red brick block-and-start surround to basement. Cast-iron railings to front boundary on cut granite plinth with cast-iron pedestrian gates.
This well-built house forms part of terrace of fourteen late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. It is enhanced by the survival of some early glass to the windows. The combination of snecked limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with little development west of Phibsborough until the 1870s.