Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Rathdown Terrace

Original Use


In Use As



1880 - 1900


314475, 235630

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1890 as one of terrace of fourteen, having full-height return to rear (south) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to east end of rear pile, having red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled metal gutter supported on corbelled yellow brick eaves course, and replacement uPVC downpipe to west end. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, with yellow brick stringcourse over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, red brick block-and-start surround to basement, and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Round-headed principal doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, having carved timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start surround and replacement uPVC door. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to east, with wrought-iron handrails to each side having cast-iron uprights. Garden to front, bounded by cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth, with cast-iron pedestrian gate having ornate piers.


This well-built house is part of a terrace of fourteen late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The impressive steps and the intact setting details considerable enhance the site. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century with little development west of Phibsborough till the 1870s.