Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Freestanding round-plan cast-iron pillar postbox, erected c. 1890, having shallow domed cap and moulded plinth base, raised insignia of Queen Victoria to front (south) face, moulded neck and dentillated frieze to cap, partially legible maker's mark 'Handyside, Derby and London' to plinth. Located on north side of North Circular Road, at junction with Charleville Road.
This high-quality piece of street furniture is illustrative of the mass-produced cast-ironwork created by the foundry of Andrew Handyside in the late nineteenth century. The insignia, which dates the box to the reign of Queen Victoria (1837-1901), provides contextual and historical detail and enlivens the utilitarian design. This postbox constitutes a working, functional component of Dublin's heritage, adding to the overall character of the North Circular Road.