Survey Data

Reg No

50130292


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Previous Name

Charleville Terrace


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1875 - 1885


Coordinates

314438, 235668


Date Recorded

07/06/2018


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited end-of-terrace two-bay two-storey-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1880 as one of terrace of nine, having full-height return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, having clay ridge tiles and granite barges to east end, red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled cast-iron gutter supported on bracketed yellow brick eaves course, and replacement uPVC downpipes. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, to front (south) elevation; red brick laid in English garden wall bond to side (east) elevation over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; ruled-and-lined render with red brick block-and-start quoins to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows; red brick block-and-start quoins and wrought-iron window-guard to basement. Round-headed principal doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, and having timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start quoins. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, with wrought-iron handrail to east side having cast-iron uprights, and mild steel handrail to west. Garden to front bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on masonry plinth, having decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate with ornate piers.

Appraisal

This well-built house is part of a terrace of nine late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked Calp limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The retention of timber sash windows is noteworthy. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century, with little development west of Phibsborough until the 1870s. The terrace was named Charleville Terrace after Charleville House in Wicklow, home of Charles Monck, who was the landowner responsible for development along this stretch of the road.