Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1880 as of terrace of nine, having full-height return to rear (north). M-profile pitched slate roof, with hip to east end of rear pile, having clay ridge tiles, red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled cast-iron rainwater gutter supported on bracketed yellow brick eaves course, profile cast-iron downpipe to west end with decorative brackets. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to upper floors, and red brick block-and-start quoins and replacement uPVC windows with wrought-iron window guards to basement. Round-headed principal doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, and having timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start quoins. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to east, with wrought-iron handrail to west side with cast-iron uprights and mild steel handrail to east. Garden to front, bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth, having decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate with ornate piers.
This well-built house is part of a terrace of nine late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked Calp limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The retention of the decorative cast-iron downpipe and timber sash windows is noteworthy. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century, with little development west of Phibsborough till the 1870s. The terrace was named Charleville Terrace after Charleville House in Wicklow, home of Charles Monck, who was the landowner responsible for development along this stretch of the road.