Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile former house over raised basement, built c. 1880 as one of terrace of nine, having full-height return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, having clay ridge tiles, red brick chimneystacks with clay pots to east and west ends and to return, profiled cast-iron gutter supported on bracketed yellow brick eaves course, and cast-iron downpipe to east end with decorative brackets. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, having replacement aluminium windows to upper floors, and red brick block-and-start quoins and replacement uPVC windows to basement. Round-headed principal doorway, having carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, and having timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start quoins. Flight of ten nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, with wrought-iron handrail to east having cast-iron uprights and with mild steel handrail to west. Garden to front, bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on cut masonry plinth, with decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate having ornate piers.
This well-built house is part of a terrace of nine late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked Calp limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The retention of the decorative cast-iron downpipe is noteworthy. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century, with little development west of Phibsborough until the 1870s. The terrace was named Charleville Terrace after Charleville House in Wicklow, home of Charles Monck, who was the landowner responsible for development along this stretch of the road.