Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Charleville Terrace

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1875 - 1885


314399, 235650

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey two-pile house over raised basement, built c. 1880 as one of terrace of nine, having full-height return to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to west end of rear pile, with red brick chimneystacks having clay pots to east and west ends and to return, replacement uPVC gutter supported on bracketed yellow brick eaves course, and with replacement uPVC downpipe to east end. Red brick walling to upper floors, laid in Flemish bond, over granite plinth course and snecked limestone walls to basement; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and replacement aluminium windows, those to basement having red brick block-and-start quoins. Round-headed principal doorway with carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters having scrolled brackets, supporting timber frieze, dentillated cornice and plain fanlight, and having timber panelled door; square-headed doorway to basement with red brick block-and-start quoins. Flight of twelve nosed granite steps and granite platform shared with house to west, having wrought-iron handrail to east with cast-iron uprights. Garden to front, bounded by decorative cast-iron railings on cut masonry plinth, with decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate having ornate piers.


This well-built house is part of a terrace of nine late nineteenth-century houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns. The combination of snecked Calp limestone and red brick adds visual and textural interest to the facade. The corbelled brick detailing to the eaves places the house in a late nineteenth-century context. The North Circular Road was laid out in the 1780s to create a convenient approach to the city. It developed slowly over the following century, with little development west of Phibsborough until the 1870s. The terrace was named Charleville Terrace after Charleville House in Wicklow, home of Charles Monck, who was the landowner responsible for development along this stretch of the road.