Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1930 - 1950
Freestanding round-plan cast-iron postbox, installed c. 1930, having shallow domed cap, moulded corona, neck moulding, cylindrical shaft and moulded plinth base. Curved hinged door facing west incorporating letter slot with raised frame below and raised 'P&T' motif. Raised lettering to each side of letter 'An chéad bailiú eile/Next collection'. Lettering detailing maker to plinth 'Carron Company Stirlingshire'.
One of many postboxes from the early years of the Irish Republic, manufactured by Carron Company of Stirling. The design draws heavily on the late nineteenth and early twentieth-century pillar boxes, but is distinguished by the 'P&T' logo of the Department of Posts and Telegraphs/Poist agus Teileagrafa. The Carron Company (1759-1982) was one of the largest ironworks in Europe and an important manufacturer of cast-iron street furniture. This postbox constitutes a working, functional component of Dublin's postal heritage, adding to the overall character of Killester Avenue.