Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1900
Mid-terrace two-bay three-storey former house, c. 1895, having canted single-storey bay to front (east) elevation and single-storey return to rear with enclosed yard. Now in use as apartments. M-profile pitched slate roof with angled black ridge tiles, and tiled roof to canted-bay, red brick chimneystacks to north end with yellow clay pots, and profiled metal rainwater goods supported on cogged yellow and black brick eaves course. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, over chamfered granite plinth course. Segmental-headed window openings with polychrome brick voussoirs, granite sills, and with continuous sill to canted-bay, having replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed doorway with polychrome brick voussoirs, carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with scrolled foliate brackets, supporting timber frieze and plain fanlight, and timber bolection-moulded four-panel door with brass furniture. Two nosed granite steps with cast-iron boot-scrape and steel handrail, accessed by tiled garden path with stone kerbs. Set back behind gravelled front garden bounded by replacement steel railings on cut granite plinth, with replacement steel pedestrian gate. Located on tree-lined section of Drumcondra Road.
This attractive mid-terraced house is part of a group of late nineteenth-century houses on the west side of Drumcondra Road, set back behind a tree-lined buffer that separates them from the busy main thoroughfare. The terrace steps along the slight rise in topography and is distinguished by an attractive street frontage ornamented by a lively palette of red, yellow and black brick, and good-quality gauged brick detailing. The group was laid out in the late nineteenth century as part of the suburban expansion of Drumcondra and is typical of the development that characterizes the area, driven by speculative development by builders who often constructed small groups of terrace houses, resulting in subtle variety of proportions, materials and detailing.