Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1900
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c. 1895 as one of pair with building to north, adjoined by similar terrace with higher parapet height to south, and having canted-bay window to front (east) elevation and two-storey return to rear. M-profile pitched slate roof with angled black ridge tiles, and two red brick chimneystacks to north party wall with yellow clay pots and cogged brick caps, leaded roof to canted-bay, and half-round metal gutter supported on cogged yellow and black brick eaves course. Red brick walling, laid in Flemish bond, over chamfered granite plinth course. Segmental-headed window openings with polychrome brick voussoirs, granite sills (continuous to canted-bay) and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed doorway with polychrome brick voussoirs, plain reveals, and replacement timber panelled door with sidelights having panelled aprons, and plain fanlight, accessed by single nosed granite step. Black and red tiled garden path to front with terracotta edging, within front garden bounded to street by wrought-iron railings with cast-iron collars and finials and gate with cast-iron spear-head finials on cut granite plinth. Located on tree-lined section of Drumcondra Road at junction with St. Alphonsus Road.
This attractive mid-terraced house is part of a group of late nineteenth-century houses on the west side of Drumcondra Road, set back behind a tree-lined buffer that separates them from the busy main thoroughfare. The terrace steps along the slight rise in topography and is distinguished by an attractive street frontage ornamented by a lively palette of red, yellow and black brick, and good-quality gauged brick detailing. This pair shares detailing with the terrace to south but, along with its neighbour to north, has a lower ridge height. It was laid out in the late nineteenth century as part of the suburban expansion of Drumcondra and is representative of the type of development that characterizes the area, driven by speculative development by builders who often constructed small groups of terraced houses, resulting in subtle variety of materials and detailing. This group presents similar characteristics to buildings on St. Alphonsus Road, suggesting the same developer.