Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced three-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1820 as one in terrace of three similar houses, having lower return to rear (west). Pitched roof, with rendered chimneystacks to ends with clay pots, behind rendered parapet with granite coping. Unpainted cement rendered walling over masonry plinth course. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills, replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to front and rear elevations; round-headed stairs window opening to rear; spoked head of original round-headed stairs window retained above return. Round-headed front doorway with slightly projecting rendered reveals, replacement glazed timber door and surround, approached by flight of nine granite steps and platform having wrought-iron handrails. Cement rendered wall with mild steel gate enclosing front garden.
This house exhibits the regular proportions, scale and classically-restrained detailing that typified urban domestic architecture in the late Georgian period. Some salient fabric has been lost, including the original doorcase, evidence of which is retained on the adjoining building. The building is part of a short terrace maintaining similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns, thereby contributing a sense of continuity to the streetscape. Dating to the early nineteenth century, it is one of the older houses in Glasnevin, built at a time when development was extending beyond the confines of the canals.