Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1940 - 1960
Detached glasshouse, built c. 1950, having ten-bay sides and five-bay ends, having almost full-width porch to north gable. Extensively restored 2009-10. Framed, faceted glazed roof structure rising to full-length gable-ended lantern, having decorative finials to apexes. Metal gutters and downpipes. Superstructure supported on triangular-braced riveted steel trusses supporting timber frame resting on painted rendered masonry plinth. Square-headed window openings along full length of east and west elevations and lantern, comprising multiple-pane pivoting lights. All opening lights operated by automated crank system. Square-headed doorways, pedimented to porch, with timber half-glazed double-leaf doors. Internally, glasshouse has natural stone flooring with gravel bedding to perimeter and planting benches to plinth level with latticed panels concealing heating pipes.
The Teak House is one of a group of high-quality glasshouses within the National Botanic Gardens, ranging from the early nineteenth to mid-twentieth centuries and exhibiting a variety of structural techniques and materials. Although this building is one of the later ones on the site, being erected about 1950, it exhibits traditional detailing and construction techniques in timber and steel. Originally constructed predominantly of the teak from which the name is derived, this glasshouse underwent extensive renovation in 2009 that resulted in the replacement of many of the teak members with Iroko timber. The mild-steel structural elements were reinstated in stainless steel. While there is little historic fabric remaining from the original Teak House it remains an attractive and well detailed feature of the National Botanic Gardens, enhancing the architectural heritage and presentation qualities of the site.