Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1820. Pitched slate roof, behind brick parapet with cut granite coping, having long yellow brick chimneystack to south party wall with clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods to front (west) elevation. Red brick walling to front, laid in Flemish bond, on cut granite plinth course over rendered walling to basement, rendered to north side elevation, and ruled-and-lined render to visible part of south elevation. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and replacement one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, and wrought-iron grille to basement window. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded render surround, timber panelled pilasters and plain lintel, timber panelled door and plain fanlight, approached by nine granite steps with wrought-iron railings. Cast-iron gate to front boundary, and matching railings set on rendered plinth wall with granite coping.
The proportions and materials of this building are characteristic of residential design in the late Georgian era. Although some original fabric has been replaced, the house retains its façade composition and early appearance. It provides an interesting focal point, rising above the adjoining terrace to the south, indicating it may have formed part of an earlier terrace. That it was intended to be built as one of a pair is shown by the springing of a doorway arch alongside the entrance to this building. The tall flight of steps to the entrance exudes an impression of subtle grandeur. Drumcondra Road Lower is part of one of the principal ancient routeways leading north from the city, the old Great Drogheda Road. Its development through the nineteenth century attests to the expansion of Dublin City and the growth of suburban residential areas on the city's outskirts.