Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Vernon Parade

Original Use


In Use As



1840 - 1850


318294, 236291

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1845 as one of five, with recent attic storey, and having return to rear (north) elevation. Pitched slate roof having flat-roofed dormer window to front elevation, rendered chimneystack to west end with clay pots, hidden behind moulded render parapet having rendered cornice and eaves course, and with cast-iron rainwater goods to west end. Ruled-and-lined rendered walling to front, with moulded render platband at first floor sill level, and moulded render plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with moulded render architraves to ground and first floors, raised render reveals and metal bars to basement, granite sills to basement and ground floor, and continuous moulded render sill course to first floor, all openings having replacement uPVC frames. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded render surround, carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with scrolled brackets supporting panelled frieze and leaded fanlight with some hand-painted glass, and replacement uPVC door. Entrance approached by flight of ten nosed granite steps, platform with decorative cast-iron railings having ornate end panel to west. Garden to front, bounded to footpath by panelled rendered wall with granite coping and having square-plan panelled rendered piers and decorative cast-iron gate.


This house retains its essential original form and character, enhanced by the survival of decorative plasterwork, which places this building within a mid-nineteenth-century context. The well-designed doorcase, complete with delicate leaded fanlight and hand-painted glass, adds artistic interest to the facade. The survival of ornate wrought and cast-ironwork to the railings contributes to the suburban residential character of the composition. The house was constructed to take advantage of the sea views, prior to land reclamation projects associated with the enlargement of Dublin Port. The terrace comprises houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns, incorporating a larger house at its east end. The land was leased by John Vernon, who was responsible for much residential and commercial development in Clontarf in the nineteenth century. The terrace was originally named Vernon Parade.