Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Vernon Parade

Original Use


In Use As



1840 - 1850


318287, 236293

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1845 as one of five, having attic accommodation, and with return to rear (north) elevation. Now in use as clinic. Pitched artificial slate roof, having rendered chimneystack to east end with clay pots, hidden behind rendered parapet having moulded render cornice and eaves course, with cast-iron rainwater goods to east end. Ruled-and-lined rendered walling to front, with moulded render platband at first floor sill level, and having moulded render plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with moulded render architraves to upper floors, masonry sills to basement and ground floor and continuous moulded render sill course to first floor, with timber sliding sash windows to front, six-over-six pane to ground and first floors and one-over-one pane to basement, and with round and square-headed openings apparent to rear. Elliptical-headed doorway with moulded render surround, carved timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with scrolled brackets supporting panelled frieze and leaded fanlight with hand-painted glass, and timber panelled door. Entrance approached by shared flight of ten nosed granite steps, platform having decorative cast-iron railings with ornate end panel to east side and wrought-iron handrail to west. Garden to front, bounded to footpath by panelled rendered wall with granite coping, and having square-plan panelled rendered piers and decorative cast-iron gate.


This house retains its essential original form and character, enhanced by the survival of decorative plasterwork, which places this building within a mid-nineteenth-century context. The well-designed doorcase, complete with delicate leaded fanlight and hand-painted glass, adds artistic interest to the facade. The survival of wrought- and cast-ironwork to the railings contributes to the suburban residential character of the composition. The house was constructed to take advantage of the sea views, prior to land reclamation projects associated with the enlargement of Dublin Port. The terrace comprises houses with similar parapet heights and fenestration patterns, incorporating a larger house at its east end. The land was leased by John Vernon, who was responsible for much residential and commercial development in Clontarf in the nineteenth century. The terrace was originally named Vernon Parade.