Survey Data

Reg No

50110526


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1845 - 1855


Coordinates

315379, 232874


Date Recorded

30/04/2017


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay single-storey-over-basement house, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet having granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots, cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, cut granite plinth course over smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals, masonry sills and six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window opening with timber casement window to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets with acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice, marigold fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite steps having cast-iron coal-hole cover and decorative boot-scrape to platform, flanked by cast-iron railings with loop detail and alternating honeysuckle and fleur-de-lis finials, those to front set on carved granite plinth.

Appraisal

This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features, including an elegant petal fanlight that adds aesthetic interest to the composition, and brings an element of individuality to a fa├žade which is otherwise similar to its neighbours. The cast-ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass-production of iron in the mid-nineteenth century. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.