Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement and with attic accommodation, built c. 1810, now in use as offices. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, having clay ridge tiles and dormer window, partly concealed behind brown brick parapet with cut granite coping. Shared brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with rolled granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals, masonry sills, and three-over-three pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron balconettes to second floor windows. Round-headed door opening with render reveal, Doric columns and entablature, petal fanlight over timber panelled door. Granite platform and steps. Wrought-iron railings having cast-iron corner posts with urn finials, on cut granite plinth wall, to front. Cast-iron coal-hole cover to footpath.
The balanced proportions of this house are characteristic of architectural design in this period. The retention of salient and well-executed features such as windows and doorcase contribute to the building's historical character. The restrained classical style forms a suitable foil to the ornate Gothic revival detailing of Hatch Hall, which dominates the streetscape to the east. Hatch Street was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791, and developed in the first half of the nineteenth century.