Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement and with attic accommodation, built c. 1810, now in use as offices. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, having clay ridge tiles and dormer window, partly concealed behind brown brick parapet with cut granite copings. Shared brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond to walls, with masonry plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals, masonry sills, and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening with rendered reveal, Doric columns and entablature, plain fanlight over timber panelled door. Quarry tile and granite platform having wrought-iron boot-scrape, granite steps. Wrought-iron railings with cast-iron posts on cut granite plinth wall to front. Cast-iron coal-hole cover to footpath.
The balanced proportions of the building are characteristic of architectural design in this period. The retention of salient features such as the windows and doorcase contribute to the building's historical character. The restrained classical style forms a suitable foil to the ornate Gothic Revival detailing to Hatch Hall, which dominates the streetscape to the east. Hatch Street was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791, and developed in the first half of the nineteenth century.