Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement and having attic accommodation, built c. 1810. Now in use as apartments. Hipped slate roof, set perpendicular to street, partly concealed behind brown brick parapet with cut granite coping. Some cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered shared chimneystack having clay pots. Hipped roof to dormer window. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, cut granite plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered walls to basement. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and mixed three-over-three pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash and replacement windows. Some timber panelled shutters visible to interior. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround and doorcase comprising Doric columns and entablature. Plain overlight and timber panelled door. Granite step and platform with wrought-iron boot-scrape and wrought-iron railings, those to front set on masonry plinth wall.
This elegantly-proportioned house is representative of the dominant style of Georgian housing in this part of Dublin. The restrained façade is enlivened with a simple classically-inspired doorcase, while the preservation of salient details such as the windows add historical context. The diminishing scale of fenestration enhances the impression of height, as does the parapet. The building is one in a terrace of varying heights but with a similar architectural style, which provides a suitable foil to Hatch Hall, dominating the streetscape to the east. Hatch Street was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791, and developed in the first half of the nineteenth century.