Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house, built c. 1890, as one of terrace of three. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimneystack having red brick stepped cap and stringcourse, and clay pots. Red brick bracket course and cut granite copings. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with rubbed red brick plinth course. Rendered walls to rear (south) and side (west) elevations. Single and paired segmental-headed window openings having red brick voussoirs, masonry sills, rendered reveals and two-over-two horizontal pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings to side and rear with rendered reveals, granite sills, and two-over-two pane timber sliding windows. Segmental-headed door opening having moulded render surround with enlarged fluted and rolled keystone detail. Plain overlight and timber panelled door. Granite step having replacement cast-iron boot-scrape, and quarry tile paving to path. Wrought-iron railings on cut granite plinth wall with matching pedestrian gate to front.
Though modest in form and scale, this house forms part of a late nineteenth-century terrace displaying a regularity of design and proportion, providing an interesting foil to the neighbouring Hatch Hall. The restrained proportions create a suitably domestic impression, and render detailing lends subtle artistic interest to the composition. The subtle contrast between brick colours, and the interesting fenestration rhythm, enhance the design. Hatch Street was approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791, and developed in the first half of the nineteenth century.