Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830, as one of pair with No. 34. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south, hidden behind brick parapet having cut granite coping. Brick chimneystacks with cut granite capping and clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to front (east) and rear (west) elevations, cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement to front. Square-headed window openings, having raised render reveals and granite sills, granite surround to basement and cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Mixed three-over-three pane, six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening with moulded render surround and carved stone doorcase comprising Ionic columns and entablature, plain fanlight and timber panelled door. Shared granite steps having cast-iron boot-scrape to platform. Replacement mild steel railings, with cast-iron corner post having urn finial, on carved granite plinth wall.
Part of a uniform terrace, this building maintains the parapet height and fenestration alignment of neighbouring buildings to the north, making a pleasing contribution to the streetscape. Salient features are retained, notably a well-executed Ionic doorcase, which are integral to the historic character, and contribute to the composition's grandeur. The road leading from St. Stephen’s Green to Donnybrook was originally called Suesey Street. It was renamed Leeson Street in 1728 to commemorate the Leeson brewing family, who were responsible for significant development in the area. Some Early Georgian houses remain but construction predominantly dates from the late eighteenth to mid-nineteenth centuries.