Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Attached four-bay two-storey house over basement, built c. 1890, having canted-bay to front (north) elevation, recent extension to side (west) elevation and return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as clerical dwelling. Hipped slate roof, red brick chimneystacks with clay pots. Some cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to front, having black and cogged brick platband, carved granite plinth course over alternating courses of rusticated ashlar granite and limestone to basement walls. Brown brick, laid in English garden wall bond to west. Segmental-headed window openings with granite sills, some polychrome brick voussoirs, and one-over-one pane and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Red brick surrounds and cast-iron railings to basement windows. Round-headed door opening, having brick surround, comprising pilasters supporting polychrome and carved brick voussoirs. Recessed square-headed opening, timber panelled door, overlight and sidelights. Nosed granite steps, flanked by wrought- and cast-iron railings on cut granite coping. Square-headed door opening to basement, red brick surrounds. Wrought-iron gate having cast-iron collars, matching railings set on cut granite plinth wall.
This attractive house retains much of its salient fabric, making a positive contribution to the historic character of the street. The use of rusticated granite and limestone, as well as polychrome brickwork, lends considerable textural and tonal variation to this composition, and places it within a late nineteenth-century context. This house previously formed the northwest end of a row of four, the remainder of which has been demolished. It would have served as a respectable middle-class dwelling and may have been associated with the adjacent church. Today it houses pastors of the Lutheran community.