Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


316089, 232750

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited attached three-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830, having single-bay side (north) elevation to Adelaide Road, and two-bay south elevation. Adjoining recent building to rear (west) elevation. Now in use as offices and guest house. Hipped roof, concealed by parapet having granite coping with open pediment over central bay. Brick chimneystacks, clay pots. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having advanced central bay to front (east) elevation, with elliptical-headed double-height recessed panel. Pilasters to corners. Dyed red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to north elevation, having cut granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills. Six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows throughout. Scrolled cast-iron sill rail to ground floor windows. Projecting entrance porch having Ionic columns, plain entablature with scrolled dentils. Round-headed door opening having timber doorcase comprising panelled pilasters and foliate console brackets and entablature, timber panelled door and plain fanlight. Elliptical-plan nosed granite steps to raised platform. Cast-iron coal-hole cover in granite pavior, to front. Granite plinth walls with replacement railings in front of basement windows to front. Granite plinth wall with wrought-iron railings having cast-iron collars to basement area to north. Granite plinth wall and thick hedge likely surrounding railings to site boundary with wrought-iron gate having cast-iron collars. Set back from street.


The balanced proportions and restrained detailing contribute to the handsome appearance of this substantial house. The facade is enlivened by the fine Ionic porch approached by elegant granite steps. It retains many salient historic features including its sash windows, panelled door and rendered finish. This house is located to the north of Dublin's finest Regency group and appears to have been built at a similar time.