Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1890 - 1900
Formerly attached five-bay two-storey public house over concealed basement, with recessed first floor to north, dated 1895, having pubfront to ground floor to front (west) elevation. Recent flat roof, concealed behind rendered parapet having moulded cornice and raised date plaque flanked by scrolled consoles. Brick and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to front, masonry quoins. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and moulded surrounds, having two-over-two pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising panelled pilasters with fluted capitals supporting fasciae and carved cornice, flanked by pedimented panelled consoles. Square-headed window openings over panelled stall risers and plinth course, square-headed door openings with timber panelled doors. Timber battened walls and ceilings to interior, mahogany panelled bar with brass rail. Mosaic flooring and cast-iron fireplace to room to rear (east).
This public house features prominently in the streetscape. While many of the surrounding structures have been demolished, this building retains much of its architectural character internally and externally, as indicated by salient features such as the sash windows, timber frontage, and interior timber panelling. There appears to have been another public house at this location earlier in the century as a structure is apparent here on the 1st Edition OS and a J. O'Neill, spirit distiller, is listed at this address in Thom's Directory (1862). Formerly known as Bambrick's, in its current incarnation it is named after playwright G.B. Shaw, who was born on nearby Synge Street.