Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1875 - 1895
Terraced two-bay two-storey house and shop over concealed basement, built c. 1885, as one of terrace of four, having attic accommodation, full-height return to rear (north) elevation and shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now in use as clinic. L-plan pitched slate roof, hipped to rear. Dormer windows, brick chimneystacks with clay pots, and timber eaves course. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to front. Square-headed window openings having granite sills. Mixed two-over-two pane timber sliding sash and replacement windows. Timber shopfront comprising plain pilasters with scrolled brackets and corbels flanking fascia and stepped cornice. Square-headed display windows having timber sills, recessed central square-headed door opening with double-leaf glazed timber panelled door and overlight. Incorporating square-headed door opening, providing access to upper floors, with plain overlight and timber panelled door. Cast-iron grills to basement lights.
One of a short terrace of purpose-built commercial buildings with residential accommodation over, this building retains an intact late nineteenth century shopfront. The work of a skilled artisan is evident in the execution of the carved details. The closure of the Portobello basin in 1883 made residential development land available in the area and provided impetus for the infilling of available plots along Lennox Street.