Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use

Apartment/flat (purpose-built)

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1875 - 1895


315473, 232606

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced single-bay two-storey house and shop over concealed basement, built c. 1885, as one of terrace of four, having attic accommodation, single-storey return to rear (north) elevation and shopfront to front (south) elevation. Pitched roof with dormer windows, brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and timber eaves course. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to front. Square-headed window openings with granite sills. Replacement windows. Shopfront comprising panelled timber pilasters with scrolled brackets flanking fascia and stepped cornice, square-headed window and door openings. Display window with concrete sill and rendered riser, glazed timber door.


One of a short terrace of purpose-built commercial buildings with residential accommodation over, this building retains elements of its late nineteenth century shopfront. The work of a skilled artisan is evident in the scrolled brackets which terminate the fascia. The closure of the Portobello basin in 1883 made residential development land available in the area and provided impetus for the infilling of available plots along Lennox Street.