Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1875 - 1895
End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house and shop over concealed basement, built c. 1885, having attic accommodation, single-storey return to rear (north) elevation and shopfront to front (south) elevation. Later used as synagogue. Part of terrace of four. Pitched roof with dormer windows, brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and timber eaves course. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls to front, rendered walls to side (east) and rear (north) elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite sills. Mixed timber sliding sash and replacement windows. Square-headed door opening with panelled timber pilasters and projecting concrete canopy. Plain overlight, timber panelled door. Shopfront comprising panelled timber pilasters with scrolled brackets flanking fascia and stepped cornice, square-headed display window with concrete sill and rendered riser. Square-headed door opening having timber panelled door and overlight.
One of a short terrace of purpose-built commercial buildings with accommodation over, this building retains notable elements of its late-nineteenth century shopfront. The work of a skilled artisan is evident in the execution of the scrolled brackets which terminate the fascia. The upper floor of the building was in use as a synagogue in 1887, for Jews who migrated into the Portobello area in the second half nineteenth century. The window above the door originally incorporated a Star of David. The closure of the Portobello basin in 1883 made residential development land available in the area and provided impetus for the infilling of available plots along Lennox Street.