Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
End-of-terrace attached two-bay single-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1840, as one of terrace of six, having return to rear. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to rear, with brick parapet having cut granite coping, rendered chimneystacks. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals and masonry sills. Replacement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, doorcase comprising Doric columns and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight, timber panelled door. Concrete steps having replacement hand rail.
This house retains much of its original form, and is characteristic of suburban residential development dating to the mid-nineteenth century. Part of a terrace with similar proportions and features, it shares a material palette and detailing with the other houses in the group. Originally New Bride Street, Heytesbury Street was renamed for William á Court, 1st Baron Heytesbury, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1844-46. The street comprises a series of individual terraces, reflecting the speculative nature of its development in the mid-nineteenth century.