Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1840, as one of terrace of six, having return to rear. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to rear, brick parapet with granite coping. Brick chimneystacks having clay pots, cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with masonry plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered basement wall. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals and masonry sills. One-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed doorway having moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, console brackets with anthemion detail, and stepped cornice. Teardrop fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite steps having cast-iron boot-scrape to shared rendered platform. Cast-iron railings with fleur-de-lis and anthemion finials, set on rendered granite plinth wall. Matching gate.
This house retains much of its original form, and is characteristic of suburban residential development dating to the mid-nineteenth century. Part of a terrace with similar proportions and features, it shares steps and return with the house to the south. The fine Greek revival railings with decorative anthemion heads are the work of a skilled craftsman, while the delicate teardrop fanlight adds artistic interest to the classically restrained façade. Originally New Bride Street, Heytesbury Street was renamed for William á Court, 1st Baron Heytesbury, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1844-46. The street comprises a series of individual terraces, reflecting the speculative nature of its development in the mid-nineteenth century.