Categories of Special Interest
1845 - 1865
Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c. 1855, as one of a terrace of four. M-profile pitched slate roof, partly concealed behind parapet with cut granite coping. Brick and rendered chimneystacks having clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front (north) elevation, cut granite plinth course over smooth rendered basement wall. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening to front, having moulded render surround. Doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, scrolled consoles with anthemion leaf detail supporting moulded cornice, leaded petal fanlight. Granite steps having stub of cast-iron boot-scrape to platform, flanked by wrought-iron railings with cast-iron collars. Square-headed door opening to basement, recent door. Wrought-iron gate having cast-iron collars and matching railings set on granite plinth wall fronting house.
A well proportioned house retaining historic features, including doorcase and timber sliding sash windows. The raised basement and wide steps leading to the front door add grandeur to the building and to the streetscape. The decorative cast-iron railings are of artistic as well as technical interest. As the street developed, this house became part of a terrace of similarly scaled and detailed houses. With the expansion of the city, the development of suburban residential areas such as Grantham Street provided housing for the growing middle class.