Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1845 - 1850
Corner-sited two-bay single-storey former house over raised basement, built 1847, formerly part of a terrace of five, now attached to recent building. In use as clubhouse. M-profile pitched slate roof having brick chimneystacks with clay pots, parapet having cut granite coping. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond to walls with cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement. Stone date-plaque to front (west) elevation having deer sculpted in relief reading, 'Russell Buildings 1847'. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond to walls to rear and return. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, rendered reveals, six-over-six pane and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and replacement windows. Some cast-iron railings. Some timber panelled shutters visible internally. Segmental-headed door opening to front having render surround. Doorcase comprising panelled pilasters and frieze. Spoked leaded fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite steps with cast-iron boot-scrape to platform, wrought-iron railings having cast-iron collars and corner posts. Square-headed door opening with recent door to basement. Wrought-iron gate having cast-iron collars and matching railings on granite-capped rubble coursed wall enclosing basement area.
A handsome house that retains much of its historic fabric, including timber sliding sash windows and classically-influenced doorcase. The inscribed stone plaque in an interesting feature, dating it to 1847 and naming it as formerly part of a terrace known as Russell's Buildings. According to Thom's Street Directory, a Mr Thomas Russell lived here in 1862. Heytesbury Street forms part of an early Victorian neighbourhood of small genteel townhouses located to the west of Camden Street. Named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, the street was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861.