Categories of Special Interest
1780 - 1800
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1790, with return to rear (east) elevation and recent shopfronts to ground floor to front (west) elevation. M-profile pitched roof, hipped to south to rear, partially hidden behind rendered parapet having cut granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings to second floor, having replacement windows. Round-headed window openings to first floor, with six-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Cut granite sills throughout.
This house retains much of its form and character, enhanced by the retention of historic features such as the early round-headed windows. Casey (2005) describes No. 75 as 'Late Georgian and unusual in having round-headed windows to the piano nobile...a three-bay house, from 1814 the residence of Thomas Pleasants, a businessman and philanthropist whose charitable works included the construction of the Stove Tenter House in Cork Street. Fragments of internal joinery remain. On Pleasants death the house was remodelled as an orphanage and school for Protestant girls'. She notes also that 'Camden Street came into being in 1778, named after Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden', however, much of the street was rebuilt in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.