Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1840 - 1860


315370, 232941

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, partly concealed behind brown brick parapet having cut granite coping, and brown brick chimneystacks. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with cut granite plinth course, and lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having granite sills, raised render reveals, six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows, and timber framed casement window. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, panelled pilasters and moulded console brackets with acanthus leaf detail supporting stepped cornice. Petal fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite platform and steps flanked by replacement railings, and cast-iron railings with matching gate and rendered plinth wall, to front.


This modest house retains much of its original character with the retention of salient features including windows and Greek revival doorcase, lending visual interest to the fa├žade. It forms part of a terrace of houses with a uniform parapet height and fenestration, creating a pleasing rhythm to the streetscape. Heytesbury Street forms part of an early Victorian neighbourhood located to the west of Camden Street. Named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, the street was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861.