Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof having clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet with granite coping. Brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with granite plinth course, and channelled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having masonry sills, rendered reveals and replacement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets having acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice. Teardrop fanlight and timber panelled door. Granite steps with cast-iron coal-hole cover and bootscrape to platform. Wrought-iron railings, those to front set on rendered plinth wall having carved granite coping.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features such as the classically influenced doorcase that provides an attractive focal point on the facade. The cast-ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass-production of iron in the mid-nineteenth century. No. 32 is highly visible, being located near the junction of Grantham Street and Heytesbury Street. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains much of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.