Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof having clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet with cut granite coping, and rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having street name signage, cut granite plinth course, and channelled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, render reveals and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening having render reveal, doorcase comprising pilasters supporting console brackets and stepped panelled cornice, marigold-petal fanlight with some tinted glass, and timber panelled door. Square-headed door opening to basement. Granite steps having cast-iron coal hole cover and bootscrape to platform. Wrought-iron railings, those to front with rendered plinth wall having carved granite coping.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features, notably well-maintained windows and a petal fanlight, which lends artistic interest to the composition. The ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass production of iron in the mid-nineteenth century. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.