Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof having clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet with granite coping. Brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with cut granite plinth course over smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals, granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround. Doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets having acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice. Marigold fanlight and replacement door. Square-headed door opening to basement. Granite steps, with cast-iron coal-hole cover and bootscrape to platform. Cast-iron railings having loop detail and alternating fleur-de-lis and honeysuckle finials, those to front set on carved granite plinth wall.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features such as the classically influenced doorcase, well-maintained windows and petal fanlight. The cast-ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass-production of iron in the mid-nineteenth century. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.