Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet having granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots, cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having cut granite plinth course, and smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals and masonry sills, one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window opening having timber casement window to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets having acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and timber panelled door. Square-headed basement door opening with part-glazed timber battened door. Granite platform with cast-iron coal hole cover. Granite steps flanked by replacement railings. Cast-iron railings to front with loop detail, set on carved granite plinth wall, matching gate to basement area.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features including well-maintained windows. A well-executed classically-influenced doorcase lends subtle decorative interest to the otherwise modest façade. Cut granite detailing articulates the façade. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.