Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey over basement house, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles partly hidden behind brown brick parapet having granite coping. Rendered chimneystacks with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having cut granite plinth course, and lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, granite sills and six-over-six pane and three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, and doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets with acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice. Teardrop fanlight and timber panelled door. Some remains of cast-iron bootscrape to granite platform. Concrete steps having recent rendered wall. Cast-iron railings with loop detail and alternating honeysuckle and fleur-de-lis finials, having matching pedestrian gate to basement, those to front on carved granite wall.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features such as the classically influenced doorcase, well-maintained windows and teardrop fanlight. The cast-ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass-production of iron in the mid-nineteenth century. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains much of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.