Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, partly hidden behind brown brick parapet having cut granite coping. Brown brick chimneystacks with clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with masonry plinth course, and smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings having rendered reveals and granite sills, six-over-six pane and three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters, fluted console brackets having acanthus leaf detail, and stepped cornice. Teardrop fanlight and timber panelled door. Cast-iron bootscrape and coal-hole cover to granite platform. Granite steps flanked by cast-iron railings, with some fleur-de-lis finials, matching pedestrian gate. Railings to front set on carved granite plinth wall.
This house is enhanced by the retention of historic features such as the classically influenced doorcase, well-maintained windows and teardrop fanlight. The cast-ironwork adds technical interest and attests to the skill and artisanship in mass-production in the mid-nineteenth century. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains much of its original character, with well-preserved classically-influenced brick houses, many with Greek revival details, creating a strong sense of rhythm and order.