Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof, partially hidden behind brown brick parapet having granite coping, rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with granite plinth course over smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals, and six-over-six pane and three-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows and three-pane fixed pane window. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, doorcase comprising panelled pilasters with fluted moulded console brackets having acanthus leaf detail and stepped cornice, teardrop fanlight with some tinted glass, and timber panelled door. Square-headed door opening having plain overlight and timber battened door to basement. Cast-iron bootscrape to granite platform. Cast-iron railings with some fleur-de-lis finials and carved granite plinth wall.
This house retains its original form and character with salient features making a positive contribution to the composition. It forms part of a terrace of houses with a uniform parapet height and fenestration, creating a pleasing rhythm to the streetscape. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with many houses, like this example, showing Greek revival details. The architects John Louch & Sons were offering sites for sale along this street 1854-1860, and it is possible that Louch, or one of his five sons, was involved in the design of this house.