Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof, partially hidden behind red brick parapet with cut granite coping, rendered chimneystacks having terracotta pots. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with cut granite quoins and plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills and raised render reveals, having one-over-one pane, six-over-six pane and eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash windows. Fixed-pane window to basement. Elliptical-headed door opening comprising panelled pilasters with moulded console brackets having acanthus leaf detail supporting stepped cornice. Recent fanlight and timber panelled door. Square-headed door opening with recent door to basement. Cast-iron bootscrape and coal-hole cover to granite platform, flight of granite steps with cast-iron railings having some fleur-de-lis finials. Railings on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement area.
One of a pair of warm red brick suburban villa-style houses at the south end of Heytesbury Street, this house retains a strong sense of its original character with a well-executed doorcase approached by granite steps, which retain their period ironmongery. The retention of sash windows further enhances the façade. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with many houses, like this example, showing Greek revival details. The architects John Louch & Sons were offering sites for sale along this street 1854-1860, and it is possible that Louch, or one of his five sons, was involved in the design of this house.