Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c. 1850. M-profile pitched slate roof, partially hidden behind red brick parapet with cut granite coping. Brown brick chimneystacks with terracotta pots. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, having cut granite quoins and plinth course over smooth rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and replacement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround, panelled pilasters and moulded console brackets with acanthus leaf detail supporting stepped cornice. Plain fanlight and replacement door. Cast-iron bootscrape and coal-hole cover to granite platform. Square-headed door opening with recent door to basement. Cast-iron railings with some fleur-de-lis finials on carved granite plinth wall enclosing basement area.
One of a pair of warm red brick suburban villa-style houses at the south end of Heytesbury Street, this house retains a strong sense of its original character with a decorative Greek-revival doorcase approached by granite steps retaining their period ironmongery. Heytesbury Street, named after Baron Heytesbury, Viceroy 1844-6, was first laid out in 1846 and was nearing completion by 1861. The streetscape maintains a strong sense of its original character, with classically-influenced brick houses, which are characteristic of residential suburban design in the mid-nineteenth century. The architects, John Louch & Sons, were offering sites for sale along this street 1854-1860, and it is possible that Louch, or one of his five sons, was involved in the design of this house.