Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1890 - 1910


315454, 232712

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey former house over raised basement and with attic accommodation, built c. 1900, as one of terrace of four, having box-bay window to front (north) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched slate roof with dormer windows, red brick chimneystacks having some dentillated caps and some black brick stringcourses. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls, with black brick sill and label courses. Rusticated ashlar granite to basement to front. Two-storey box-bay window having carved timber cornice and stepped console brackets, carved colonnettes, shouldered panelled risers, and recessed gabled attic window with balconette having wrought-iron railing. Square-headed window openings. Single, bipartite and tripartite one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Red brick surround to basement window. Gabled dormer windows having timber battened pediments, carved bargeboards and timber framed casement windows. Round-headed door opening with polychrome brick voussoirs. Stepped timber porch hood on carved console brackets having foliate detail and plain glazed fanlight. Timber panelled door flanked by fixed pane leaded glass sidelights over panelled risers. Square-headed basement door opening with red brick block-and-start surround having plain overlight and timber panelled door. Square-headed vent opening with cast-iron grate. Granite platform and nosed steps having decorative cast-iron handrails and posts on granite plinth wall. Wrought-iron pedestrian gate with matching railings on granite plinth wall to front.


This distinctive terrace of four houses forms an idiosyncratic group on the south side of the street. The carefully executed detailing to the timber bays, and the complex carving to the porch corbels, highlight the skill of nineteenth-century woodworking. The cast- and wrought-ironwork to the small front gardens add further interest while the dormer windows enliven the roofline. Harrington Street is a continuation of the South Circular Road (created between 1763 and 1778) which developed because of the opening of Portobello Harbour, located further to the east, in 1801. The range of nineteenth century architectural styles lends the streetscape a unique and appealing character.