Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c. 1860. Pitched slate roof hidden behind parapet having cut granite coping to front (west) elevation. Yellow brick chimneystacks, clay sills. Red brick, laid in Flemish bond to wall to front. Rendered walls to sides and rear elevation. Square-headed window openings with two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows, raised render reveals and some granite sills. Some timber framed windows to rear. Elliptical-headed door opening having moulded render surround. Doorcase with panelled pilasters, carved timber console brackets and cornice. Plain fanlight, part glazed timber panelled door. Paved granite entrance platform. Tiled path. Yard to front enclosed by cast-iron railings on granite plinth wall, matching gate. Rubble stone boundary wall to south side.
This house retains much of its early form and character. Well-proportioned openings articulate the façade. The front garden boundaries remain intact, contributing to its early suburban character. It shares characteristics with the adjoining houses resulting in a coherent streetscape. Casey (2005) notes that Portobello 'began to develop with the opening of the canal harbour in 1801. Streets between the South Circular Road and the canal [including] Harrington Street…have single-and double-fronted houses of Late Georgian character'. Harrington Street was predominantly developed after 1850.