Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1850 - 1870


315520, 232715

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house over basement, built c. 1860, as one of pair, having three-storey return to rear. M-profile pitched roof hidden behind rendered parapet with moulded render cornice to front (north) elevation. Shared brown brick chimneystacks. Yellow brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front. Cut granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Yellow brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear. Lined-and-ruled wall to side (west) elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite sills and replacement windows. Elliptical-headed door opening with moulded render surround, doorcase comprising fluted columns and cornice, fanlight, timber panelled door. Nosed granite steps and platform with cast-iron railings. Yard to front enclosed by replacement railings on carved granite plinth wall. Rubble stone boundary wall to side (west).


This house retains much of its early form and character. Well-proportioned openings, cut granite and moulded render detailing articulate the façade. The front garden boundaries remain intact, contributing to its early suburban character. Despite its modest scale, it shares characteristics with the adjoining houses resulting in a coherent streetscape. Casey (2005) notes that Portobello 'began to develop with the opening of the canal harbour in 1801. Streets between the South Circular Road and the canal [including] Harrington Street have single-and double-fronted houses of Late Georgian character'. Harrington Street was predominantly developed after 1850.