Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of three. Three-storey return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched M-profile roof concealed behind parapet with cut granite coping to front (north) elevation. Shared brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front. Cut granite plinth course over coursed rubble stone wall to basement. Brown brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround, Ionic doorcase with entablature, fanlight, and timber panelled door. Nosed granite steps and platform flanked by cast-iron railings. Yard to front partly enclosed by recent railings on cut granite plinth wall.
This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The Ionic doorcase displays skilled craftsmanship and adds interest. The front yard boundaries remain intact maintaining the early suburban character of the streetscape. It shares characteristics with the adjoining houses resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of three houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street where residential development did not start in earnest until c. 1860.