Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of three. Two-storey return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as apartments. Pitched M-profile roof concealed behind parapet with cut granite coping to front (north) elevation. Squared brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front. Cut granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Brown brick, laid in English garden wall bond, to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and replacement windows. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround, Ionic doorcase with entablature, petal fanlight, timber panelled door. Granite steps having cast-iron bootscrape to platform, flanked by cast-iron railings. Yard to front enclosed by cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth wall. Situated to south side of Harrington Street.
This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The Ionic doorcase and early fanlight display skilled craftsmanship and add artistic interest to the composition. The front garden boundaries remain intact, maintaining the early suburban character of the streetscape. The building shares characteristics with the adjoining houses, resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of three houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street where residential development did not start in earnest until about 1860.