Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


315575, 232723

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of three. Two-storey return to rear (south) elevation. Now in use as clubhouse. Pitched M-profile roof hidden behind parapet with cut granite coping to front (north) elevation. Brown brick chimneystacks having clay pots. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front with cut granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Rendered wall to rear. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Wrought-iron railings to second floor windows. Wyatt window to rear first floor window opening. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround, Ionic doorcase with entablature, timber panelled door and fanlight. Raised entrance having recent ramp and railings, nosed granite steps. Yard to front enclosed by recent railings on early cut granite plinth and recent gate.


This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The Ionic doorcase displays skilled craftsmanship and adds visual interest to the composition. The building shares characteristics with the adjoining houses, resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of three houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street, where residential development did not start in earnest until about 1860.