Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1820 - 1840


315587, 232724

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced five-bay three-storey over basement former house with integral carriage-arch, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of four. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof having parapet with cut granite coping to front (north) elevation. Shared brown brick chimneystack having clay pots. Rendered chimneystack to rear. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to wall to front. Cut granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement. Rendered wall to rear (south) elevation. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, raised render reveals and replacement windows. Round-headed door opening having moulded render surround, Ionic doorcase with entablature, timber panelled door, and replacement fanlight. Rendered steps. Round-headed opening to carriage-arch. Recent railings to basement areas and street boundary.


This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The early Ionic doorcase displays skilled craftsmanship and adds visual interest to the facade. The building shares characteristics with the houses to the east, resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of four houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street where residential development did not start in earnest until c. 1860.