Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced four-bay three-storey over basement former house, built c. 1830, as one of terrace of four. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof having parapet with cut granite coping to front (north) elevation. Brown brick chimneystacks. Brown brick, laid in Flemish bond, to walls. Cut granite plinth course over lined-and-ruled rendered wall to basement. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, rendered reveals and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening having Ionic doorcase with entablature, spoked fanlight and timber panelled door. Paved granite platform having granite steps, flanked by recent railings. Yard to front enclosed by cast-iron railings on cut granite plinth, cast-iron railings and gate with wrought-iron arch.
This house retains much of its early form. Well-proportioned openings and cut granite detailing articulate the façade. The wrought-iron arch and Ionic doorcase including fanlight display skilled craftsmanship and add visual interest to the composition. The front garden boundaries remain intact maintaining the early suburban character of the streetscape. It shares characteristics with the adjoining houses resulting in a coherent streetscape. This terrace of four houses is one of the earliest on Harrington Street, where residential development did not start in earnest until the mid-nineteenth century.